Radiohead

It’s anniversary time – 12 years – and what does every girl want besides a pony or a jeep (besides, I already have those)? How about a fancy new bluetooth-o-rific radio for the jeep?  OH yes, be still my heart.

First things first we had a limited amount of time and a limited amount of space to get this job done. Limited time because we were heading to the MAGPI Open in 3 hours and limited space because it had started raining and we can’t open both doors of the jeep while it is in the garage. So poor Chad jammed himself in the passenger seat while I folded down the back seat and set our tools out there.

Desperation is the mother of a lot of things, and in this case it is the mother of make do with what you’ve got. Fortunately for me, I’m kinda small (or short or however you’d like to put it) so I fit in the passenger side pretty well.

The first thing we had to do was pull off the dashboard. Chad, being the uber geek that he is, had done extensive googling regarding the subject. Me, well I’d been wanting to change this stupid radio out for ages, so I too had done my own googling. We both came to the same conclusion…this sounded a little too easy to be true. And yet with very little elbow grease, things started coming apart. Although that part that implied no tools were needed? Yeah, that I did not believe. And while it may have been true…a flat head screw driver made it much much easier.

And so when we were down to the nuts and bolts I was so terribly relieved that I had the foresight to purchase the deep well sockets in addition to my regular sockets. (Sockets R Us at your service!) Otherwise there would have been lots of gnashing of teeth and cursing. I’d have kept the tool throwing to a minimum due to the confined space and profuse amount of auto glass.

And more or less lickity split, the dash was completely apart (and now resting on the folded down back seat) and the old radio was out. At this point Chad and I were still pretty certain doom & gloom and broken bits was around the corner.

We thought perhaps when we reached the soldering portion of the project that we had in fact discovered the part where it all went to pieces. Our soldering iron is antiquated at best. As in I had acquired it from some deep, dark corner in a far, far away place.  And the same was true of the solder itself. Much to my chagrin, Chad professed to having not much in the way of soldering skills. Well you know me, I’m always up for a challenge.  So I decided to give it a spin. What I learned: our soldering iron needs replaced. In order for it to work, you had to touch just the right part to the solder. No seriously, the one side was useless which meant the tool had to be held just precisely so, leaving no manual dexterity to work with the item that was being soldered. I looked as if I was doing delicate surgery instead of connecting wires.

But, a little patience and some black tape later…the wiring harness was ready to roll.

At this point we were running close on time and I wanted to get ready for the MAGPI Open, so I fired up the jeep and the stereo roared to life. Hooray for us!

And thus I was giddy with joy!

YAY for Bluetooth Music Goodness!

chris on May 3rd 2011 in Vehicles

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

No CAPTCHA challenge required.