Warning: Use of undefined constant ’header_id’ - assumed '’header_id’' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/customer/www/hotspur.us/public_html/wp-content/plugins/image-rotator/header-image-rotator.php on line 31
Hotspur.us » More fun with home renovation

More fun with home renovation

Our house has four bedrooms. One belongs to the ferrets. One is ours. One is the small guestroom and the last is Bj’s room. Or that’s what we call it,  even though he left. We used to call it the Lizard Room. But that makes it sounds like not only do we have a room just for ferrets (and laundry) but we have a room dedicated to lizards. We don’t, just to be clear. Anyway.

I’ve been meaning to get around to ripping up the carpet in Bj’s room.  It’s icky and has a large melted spot that was there when we moved in. But like many home improvement projects around here, there’s a long way between meaning to do it and actually doing it.

I was finally spurred into action when Shadowfax decided she wanted to help by digging at and shredding the exposed carpet padding on the room threshold.

So after work I took the first big step and started ripping.


I wasn’t sure what I would find. All in knew was that this room, like the landing,  had a subfloor. I held out hope that the presence of a subfloor meant no nasty laminate tiles stuck directly to the original floors. I’d already done battle with the aforementioned tiles in our bedroom and preferred to not have to repeat it.


Unfortunately when I ripped up the padding, I was greeted with the above sight. Grocery store green sticky tiles. It was all I could do not to vomit.  But wait.


These tiles were popping off to reveal some weird black, sticky…paper? What is going on here. I grabbed the paper stuff and it peeled back to reveal wood coated in glue. Great.

I was trying not to freak out about this development when I finally remembered that there WAS most definitely a subfloor between all this nastiness and the original floor.


I took a deep breath, finished pulling up the remaining carpet and cursed the blind woodworker that was employed to work on the closet. (More on that later.)

Removal of the tiles and subfloor will be another day. As will repairing the bottom of the bedroom door, since in its current shape, not only could the weasels easily fit under it,  but probably the cats.


Yay for home improvement.

chris on September 30th 2013 in Blogroll

Comments RSS

Leave a Reply